This is a super simple recipe for making black beans in a slow cooker.
- Soak two cups of beans (about one small bag) overnight.
- Pour off water and fill cooker back up, covering beans with about two inches of water
- Turn cooker onto high for several hours (4+) or low for many hours (~8)
- Add a mix of the following (after cooking for some time)
- 2T Chili Powder
- 2T Knor Bullion (Tomato is what I use, but chicken would work too)
- 2T Italian seasoning
- 1T Garlic powder
- Whatever else you think would work with beans
- one can of diced tomatoes (Zesty chili type or plain)
- one can of tomato paste
Some variations are to add bacon, smoked sausage, ham hock or some other meat to make it more of a balanced meal. It is great to keep a container of this in the fridge all the time for a quick meal. Add some cheese, or blend it all together to make a smoother bean soup (as my wife likes to do). Its cheap, its yummy and it warms you up on a cold winter day. I usually cook up at least one batch of this each week during the colder months, and it has never been quite the same twice, but is always good.